Uploading Ngiryi

[caption id="attachment_182" align="aligncenter" width="580"] These are all of the points that we collected last week, laid on top of an administrative boundary map. We uploaded these into Quantum, and added a unique identifier for each point/family that corresponds to the spreadsheets GHI has containing all of the information about the families. This means that we can join the patient info to the points, and display the information on the map.[/caption] [caption id="attachment_183" align="aligncenter" width="580"] Also trying to get imagery for the area, so we can pick out houses and drop points on them without having to physically go to every one. Right now the internet connection is making it a little tricky, but we're making a little progress. Trying to puzzle together the different tiles right now...[/caption]

So far we like the Magellan GPS' a lot, and Quantum is working well! We've taken both tracks and points using the GPS. The only slightly annoying thing is that the GPS doesn't store tracks and points by date, so when you upload you get all of the points that are on the device. Fiddling with the settings a bit to see if we can adjust that, but I don't think we'll be able to. We're also having a few issues merging the shapefiles, so working to troubleshoot that today. Finally, it looks like the best way to locate the houses using imagery will be to find them on Quantum, when we can navigate around the Bing imagery, rather than using a static image. We'll need really good internet for that, so that meeting might have to take place at the airport.

This week we're going to collect data around the Gikomero health center, try to track down the umudugudu and akagali level shapefiles, and conduct some data collection training workshops with the agricultural agents. We're also going to work on making a map of the farm if we have time.

In other news, we have solved the mystery of the bat in our room! On Saturday night we woke up to a loud and very scary flapping. We escaped (wrapped in our blankets) and slept in the other girls' beds because they were in Uganda. After a thorough search on Sunday morning we decided it had flown out, but last night we heard flapping again and we (Anna) got freaked out all over again. This morning I searched 0ur room, however, and found the 'bat' -- actually just a MASSIVE black moth. Caught it and freed it and now we are bat and fear-free!!